China has made “impressive progress” in developing new nuclear weapons, but will only use them for self-defense, and will never use them first, Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe told Shangri-La dialogue delegates.
Key points:
- China has been developing its capabilities for more than five decades, says its defense minister
- He says the ultimate goal of China’s nuclear arsenal is to prevent nuclear war
- US says Beijing seems to be deviating from decades of nuclear deterrent strategy
Defense leaders in China and the United States held face-to-face talks for the first time over the weekend, with both sides standing firm in their opposing views on Taiwan’s right to rule.
On Saturday, U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and Wei met on the sidelines of the Shangri-La Dialogue security summit in Singapore for nearly an hour.
Mr. Wei said the talks went “without flowing.” A Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman later said Wei reiterated Beijing’s firm stance on Taiwan, which is part of China.
Beijing has always held a firm position on Taiwan, believing that it is part of China.
On Sunday, in response to a question about last year’s reports on the construction of more than 100 new nuclear missile silos in eastern China, Wei said China “has always followed the right path to develop nuclear capabilities to protect our country “.
He added that the nuclear weapons shown at a 2019 military parade in Beijing, including enhanced launchers for China’s DF-41 intercontinental ballistic missiles, were operational and deployed.
“China has been developing its capabilities for more than five decades. It is fair to say that there has been impressive progress,” he said.
“China’s policy is consistent. We use it for self-defense. We will not be the first to use nuclear weapons. [weapons]. “
He said China was only seeking peace and stability, and was not an aggressor, calling on the US to “strengthen solidarity and oppose confrontation and division.”
He said China strongly rejected “US defamation, accusations and even threats” in Mr Austin’s speech on Saturday.
The U.S. State Department last year said China’s nuclear buildup was worrisome and said it looked like Beijing was deviating from decades of nuclear strategy based on minimal deterrence.
He called on China to work with it “on practical measures to reduce the risk of destabilizing arms races.”
Taiwan open to deal with China’s “goodwill”
Relations between Taipei and Beijing have been at their lowest level in decades, with China increasing political and military pressure to get the island to accept its sovereignty.
But Prime Minister Su Tseng-chang said on Sunday that Taiwan did not want to close the door on China and was willing to participate in the spirit of goodwill, but on equal terms and without preconditions.
“As long as there is equality, reciprocity and no preconditions, we are ready to commit ourselves willingly to China,” he said, reiterating a position that President Tsai Ing-wen had repeatedly made public.
“When it comes to harassing China in Taiwan with military planes, warships, repression and irrational political actions, the most unreasonable thing is China,” he added.
“Taiwan does not want to close the door on China. It is China that has used various means to oppress and treat Taiwan for no reason.”
Reuters
Posted 58 minutes ago 58 minutes ago dig. June 12, 2022 at 4:23 AM, updated right now dig. June 12, 2022 at 5:21 p.m.