NEW You can now listen to Fox News articles!
The mayor of the city has revealed that a negotiator located at a funeral home near the Robb primary school while the Uvalde school shooting was taking place was trying “as much as they could find” to reach the armed man Salvador Ramos .
Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin, in an interview with The Washington Post, said the negotiator was finally unable to contact the 18-year-old, who killed 19 students and two teachers in the attack.
“His main goal was to get that person to talk on the phone,” McLaughlin said. “They tried all the numbers they found.”
The mayor told The Washington Post that he did not believe the negotiator was aware that there were children calling 911 from the classroom Ramos entered, calling for help from police.
Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin, second from the left, speaks with Texas Department of Homeland Security soldiers outside Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas on Wednesday, May 25th. (Jerry Lara / The San Antonio Express-News via AP)
TEXAS GOV. ABBOTT ORDERS SCHOOL SECURITY OFFICIALS TO CARRY OUT “RANDOM INVOLVEMENT DETECTION AUDITS”
McLaughlin met the negotiator at Hillcrest Funeral Home across Robb Elementary Street.
A woman visits a memorial at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas on Wednesday, June 1 to pay her respects to the victims killed in the school shooting last week. (AP / Jae C. Hong)
He said he rushed to the facility about 15 minutes after receiving “the first call” about Ramos crashing his truck near the school.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
McLaughlin also told the newspaper that he never imagined the school would be as it was.
Carriers carry the coffin of Jose Flores Jr., 10, after a funeral service at Sacred Heart Catholic Church on Wednesday, June 1 in Uvalde, Texas. Flores was killed in last week’s elementary school shooting. (AP / Eric Gay)
“I hope we throw him to the ground,” he said. “I would never expect a teacher, a student, to walk in that building again.”