Dolph Lundgren says ‘Rocky’ fans ‘can relax’ after Stallone takes ‘Drago’ spin-off: ‘We’re in touch’

Dolph Lundgren took to social media to “set the record straight” regarding the recent controversy that is consuming the “Rocky” franchise. Variety reported on July 28 that MGM is developing a “Drago” spinoff with screenwriter Robert Lawton, an announcement that was later condemned by “Rocky” franchise creator and actor Sylvester Stallone. Lundgren told “Rocky” fans to relax after Stallone spoke out against the film, and confirmed that he is now in contact with Stallone about the possible spin-off after assuming that Stallone would automatically be involved.

“Just to set the record straight about a possible ‘Drago’ spin-off. There is no approved script, no deals, no director and I personally was under the impression that my friend Sly Stallone was involved as a producer or even as an actor,” Lundgren wrote. “There was a press leak last week that was unfortunate. Contact Mr. Balboa, so all the fans can relax… That’s it.”

More of Variety

Plot details about a “Drago” spinoff have not been revealed, so it was unclear when the project was announced whether Lundgren, who debuted as Ivan Drago in “Rocky IV,” or Florian Munteanu , who played Drago’s son Viktor in “Creed II,”. ” they would reprise their roles.

“I APOLOGIZE TO THE FANS, I never meant for the ROCKY characters to be exploited by these parasites,” Stallone wrote of the spinoff film. “By the way, I have nothing but respect for Dolph, but I wish he would have told me what was going on behind my back. Keep your REAL friends close.”

It wasn’t the first time in July that Stallone talked about the “Rocky” franchise. He previously blasted producer Irwin Winkler for not giving him any control of the series, writing: “After Irwin controlled ‘Rocky’ for over 47 years, and now ‘Creed,’ I wish I had at least a little bit. [of] what is left of my rights, before passing it on only to your children.”

The story continues

As for the film “Drago”, Lawton was hired as the film’s screenwriter after impressing MGM executives with his spec script “Becoming Rocky”, about the making of the first film. movie “Rocky”.

“I’m incredibly humbled and grateful for this opportunity, and I approach it as a huge fan of the ‘Rocky’ franchise, who happens to be a screenwriter,” Lawton said in a statement to Variety.

Before the “Drago” spin-off, the Michael B. Jordan-directed “Creed III” will open in theaters on March 3, 2023.

The best of the variety

Sign up for the Variety newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Click here to read the full article.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *