Police have evacuated Trafalgar Square and carried out a controlled explosion following reports of a suspicious vehicle meters away from where part of the Queen’s platinum jubilee celebrations are to be held.
Metropolitan police officers were seen asking people to leave the area after receiving a report from a citizen at 9:22 a.m. Saturday.
Guests staying at a nearby hotel were also evacuated and police told people not to travel to the area.
People close to the scene said they had heard a blow, and Scotland Yard confirmed that there had been a “small controlled explosion”. A spokesman said it was not linked to terrorism.
The plaza, which houses the Nelson’s Column and extends in front of the National Gallery, has since been reopened.
“Police attended the report of a member of the public at 9:22 am of a suspicious vehicle in Trafalgar Square. This was investigated and after the police took action we have no further concern. This was not related to terrorism. The incident has already ended and the square will be reopened in due course, “police said on Twitter.
A spokesman told Reuters that intensive checks were being carried out in the area, which is a short distance from where a concert is to be held outside Buckingham Palace later in the day.
Sunday’s Platinum Jubilee pageant will take place in Trafalgar Square, turning into Whitehall from the mall.
Scotland Yard said the incident is believed to have involved a suspicious package.