The electricity crisis does not end after AEMO suspends the National Electricity Market

Radio presenter Ben Fordham and NSW Energy Minister Matt Kean have hit the airwaves as declining reserves have become an “operational reality”.

Radio host Ben Fordham has beaten NSW’s energy minister as the state, among other things, is facing power outages and has attenuated fears.

This comes when more power outages were issued on Thursday night, affecting NSW, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania and South Australia.

Matt Kean, who has been in office since 2019, said there was a mix of factors for the current crisis, including the Ukrainian war, the cold strike and faulty generators, claiming he was not responsible. of the situation.

Stream more financial news live and on demand with Flash. More than 25 news channels in one place. New to Flash? Try 1 month for free. The offer ends on October 31, 2022>

Fordham, however, accused Kean of “demonizing coal” and refusing to improve existing coal plants. Statements that Mr. Kean refused. The Minister of Energy said that the state should move towards new technologies that are isolated from the global clashes of prices and unreliable equipment.

“I take responsibility for making a plan to make sure we don’t have these events in the future,” Kean said.

“Last night we showed exactly why we need to modernize our electrical system. We need to move to a new technology that keeps the lights on and lowers prices.”

The couple continued to argue over whether gas or coal was the best way to power the state’s electricity, without any of the people withdrawing their comments.

The war of words on the air made Mr. Fordham say, “If you’re such a genius, why are we in such a mess?”

In response, Mr. Kean said: “I always take responsibility … but I didn’t invade Ukraine, I didn’t make the generators old equipment, and I certainly didn’t get cold.”

Lack of power becomes “operational reality”

According to data from the Australian energy market operator, as of Thursday morning, demand was surpassing power generation in NSW and South Australia. Supply in Queensland, Tasmania and Victoria seemed to meet demand.

At 11 a.m., the AEMO had issued several Level 3 Reserve Forecast (LOR) Warnings for NSW, Victoria and Queensland.

Level 3 LOR was predicted during the times of:

NSW: Wednesday from 5.30 pm to 7 pm, from 8 pm to 10.30 pm and from Wednesday to midnight to Thursday from 12:30 am.

Victory: Wednesday from 5.30 pm to 7 pm, from 8 pm to 10.30 pm and Wednesday from midnight to 12:30 am.

South Australia: Thursday from 7am to 10am and from 5.30pm to 8.30pm

Essentially, the notice indicates that there is a greater demand for electricity than supply.

“This condition exists when the available electricity supply is equal to or less than the operating demand,” the AEMO website states.

“This means that no backup supplies are available. A controlled downtime may be required as a last resort to protect system security and prevent long – term damage to system infrastructure.

At 6.38am, a “real reserve shortfall” was also implemented in NSW from 6am to 7.30am. This happens when generators do not respond to advance warnings and the lack of backup power “becomes an operational reality.”

Previously, all warnings were “Reservation Lack Forecast”, which is when the market operator’s calculations predict a reduced amount of electricity reserves.

The precarious situation meant that the AEMO carried out on Wednesday afternoon the unprecedented action of suspending the National Electricity Market, so that they will have the power to force the generators (energy suppliers) to tender the electricity on the market.

Earlier, the generators were accused of withholding power due to the implementation of the AEMO at a maximum cost of 300 megawatts per hour, which would force them to operate at a loss.

The EEA will continue negotiations today, in order to ensure the supply of energy for the coming weeks.

Speaking to ABC Breakfast, the executive director of the Australian Energy Council, Sarah McNamara, was unable to give a timeline on when the power crisis will be eased.

“The market operator will assess the situation on a daily basis,” he said.

“We expect them to be days rather than weeks in their current state.”

However, he emphasized that despite the “difficult situation”, “the market operator is in control”.

His remarks echoed those of AEMO CEO Daniel Westerman. Announcing the suspension of the NEM on Wednesday, he declined to say when the volatile crisis could end, adding that it had become “impossible to operate the spot market in accordance with the rules”.

“We will restore the market when we are sure we can operate it,” he said.

“Decade of denial and delay”

Speaking to the media on Thursday, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese had sharp words for his predecessors and said the current situation was the result of a “decade of denial and delay” that has had “real consequences”.

“What I understand is that we have had a decade of multiple energy ministers who have delayed and denied any necessary policy changes,” he said.

Climate Change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen also added that the AEMO, the federal and state and territorial governments were working together to avoid the need for unloading and shutdowns. He also called on NSW residents to monitor its use, with state resources at a particularly worrying level.

“The New South Wales network will be under significant pressure tonight,” Bowen said.

“AEMO and Minister Keane have asked people not to turn off anything essential, anything that is needed for heating.

“If you have a choice about when to run certain items, don’t run them from 6 to 8. That’s a small part of the equation.”

“Archaic Rules Designed in 1988”

When asked if the market needed to be “redesigned,” McNamara said a mix of “archaic rules” had led the market to this crisis situation.

“We are dealing with some very archaic rules that were designed in 1988 that took into account maximum summer periods of four days or more when things were hot instead of long winter energy droughts due to the crises of global supply, “he said.

However, he stressed that the current priority was for regulators, generators and the government to work cooperatively to ensure that there was enough electricity for consumers.

“Maybe we should work with governments and regulators to take another look at these rules in time, but for now, we are focused on making sure there is enough supply in the system,” he said.

“It’s a day-to-day situation, but I don’t think residential consumers should be overly concerned about reliability.”

“Supply conditions will be strict”

Sydney residents were told to reduce their energy use between 5.30pm and 8.30pm on Wednesday night, and NSW Treasurer and Energy Minister Matt Kean told residents that reported that “supply conditions will be adjusted.”

“Some of the generators we rely on to produce our electricity have not gone online the way we expect,” he said.

“We are not telling people to turn off the heating … we are just saying that maybe if you are washing the dishwasher at 19:30 to delay it until 20:30.

“What we’re doing is focusing on making sure we get through tonight and the next few days.”

Generators have also repressed the wrath of Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who called on energy companies to be reasonable.

“My message to energy companies is that they have a responsibility to their customers, whether they are households or businesses, to do the right thing,” he told Paul Culliver of ABC Radio.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *