Investigators have determined that a large fire that ravaged a Mississauga townhouse complex over the weekend was not suspicious.
The blaze broke out Sunday at the Meadowvale Gardens complex at 2869 Battleford Road, near Glen Erin Drive, damaging 12 units and damaging two dozen more.
Winds fanned the flames through a shared attic, accelerating the spread of the fire.
The Ontario Fire Department said Tuesday it has now closed its investigation at the scene and returned the site to the property management company.
Firefighter investigator Jordan Froese told CP24 that the fire started on the third-floor balcony on the south side of the structure. Although the case is still being investigated and should be disclosed in the coming days, he said it is not considered suspicious.
One of the firefighters was slightly injured in the fire, but no one was injured.
Froese said the cleanup is still expected to take some time.
He stressed that the OFM is reminding people of the importance of having smoke detectors in operation in their homes, as early detection is essential in the event of a fire.
Investigators are still investigating whether the property’s fire alarm system was working. The city previously said the fire alarm system was working when it was inspected last month.
At least nine uninsured families were being helped by the Red Cross as a result of the fire.
Mississauga Fire said the city’s emergency management team will be on site Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to provide more assistance to residents.
– With files by Beatrice Vaisman